Monday, June 28, 2010

Good Morning Denmark!


While the Danish government believes that I can read, write and speak Danish (after all, I did pass the test), I find my skills lacking and it frustrates me. By far, the hardest aspect of the language, for me, is understanding what people are saying. That and actually listening, rather than tuning them out, but that's a separate issue!

I've talked to others attempting to learn the language and to those who are more fluent than myself and the number one suggestion that I get is to turn on the TV. I can't actually watch the TV while I'm working, but everyone suggests that just having it on in the background will somehow penetrate my skull; subliminal learning apparently.

So today was day one of the experiment. I turned on the TV this morning and found Denmark's version of the Today show, "Go' morgen Danmark".

This is what I know, or more accurately, what I think I heard...

  1. It's a nice morning in Denmark.
  2. Something about a motorway. I don't know if something happened on a motorway or if something is going to happen on a motorway but I know that a motorway is somehow involved in something. Useful, yes?
  3. Pia Kjærsgaard had something to say about something. She's the leader of the most conservative party in DK and most of what she says holds no interest for me other than outrage, so I didn't pay much attention to this part.
  4. I think someone wrote a book about women's backsides through history. When it was popular to have a small butt and when it was popular for baby to 'have back'. And they talked about Pamela Anderson. And church bells were ringing in the background. The same segment was played again later - the church bells gave it away.
  5. Tour d'France is coming. I think someone from the Saxo Bank team was interviewed.
  6. It is a dark day for England after yesterday's loss in the World Cup. In a related matter, some woman wrote in asking for someone to explain 'off-sides'. I'm not sure if it was explained or not. Then again, I'm not sure I would understand it if someone explained it in English.
  7. Someone cooked something involving couscous.
  8. Protesters are at the G20 meeting in Canada.
  9. It's going to be warm later this week.
Perhaps Day 2 will go better.

4 comments:

  1. I think that is a LOT!!!! And you were working at the same time! Maybe it would help both of us to start speaking Danish when we are all together?? did I really just type that? Where's the delete button???

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe...well, it worked for me, although C asked me to switch from German morning talk shows Jerry Springer style to something with a nicer language. ;)

    Once you hit a certain point, you can also start reading Danish books. I remember buying my first German book after 2 years in Switzerland and giving up after page 1. Then 1-2 years later, I picked it up again and just read it without problems, and I could have sworn my German had not got any better, but apparently somehow it had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Backsides and offsides! It was a good day 1...

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Comments, Snide Remarks?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin