Friday, April 17, 2009

Spring in Denmark

Sometime last fall I went around and dug up all the various bulbs I had stuck in the ground the previous year. I decided to revamp one of my flower beds and just fill it up with all kinds of bulbs. The great thing about tulips and daffodils is that they're so reliable - you just stick them in a hole and a few months later, they reward you by growing. The dogs generally don't eat them, (I say generally because.. well.. I have found some on the lawn here and there so a few were 'sniffed' out and dug up) and that's always a plus in this house. At this point, I don't think I can count the number of rose bushes that have been consumed by a certain black dog. She did grow up a little and recover a bit from her rose eating obsession, but then we got a 2nd dog, and this one eats trees, and anything resembling a tree. Doggie #2 has pretty much destroyed a favorite azalea bush though I'm still holding out hope that it will miraculously spring back to life.

Back to the bulbs. Just for extra 'doggie' protection, I dug a few inches down in the entire bed, dropped every bulb I could find into the flower bed, and then took some of that green wire fencing and set that down over all the bulbs prior to shoveling all the dirt back in - puppy proofing. Getting your paws stuck on a fence seems to work to prevent further digging. Genius!

Spring has arrived, the daffodils are in full blooms, and now all my beautiful tulips are arriving one by one (and some hyacinth too!)... yeehaw!





9 comments:

  1. there is something magical about this cold, ugly dark earth from Danish winter popping up with all these blooms! I never appreciated flowers really, until I moved here.

    Have a WONDERFUL journey today! I will be thinking of you as you fly across the water! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband threw away our one and only bulb. He did the right thing by clipping it after it died. But then when it didn't rebirth immediately, he figured it had died and so tossed it. I'm glad to see I'm not the only brown thumb in the house, but when I see your beautiful flowers, I am wildly jealous. Someday I'll have to learn about this "planting" and "growing" of green things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the flowers! And I laughed on hearing that you have flower-eating dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got loads of flowers! We only have a few but they do brighten up the ground. We can plant some more now so they come up in the Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty!
    My dog leaves the bulbs alone, but she does like yanking things out of the ground. I blame it on her age (1 year old). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your garden is lovely and so many blooms already?!!! We haven't come that far yet..so you are lucky!! And very smart idea with the netting..never thought of that..knock on wood so far these furry children are leaving my gardens alone but that little Aussie monkey keeps eyeing some of my rock gardens...so I need to keep an eye on her...
    I can see your dog with the rose thorns sticking out of his mouth...saying "nope...wasn't me!" hahahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok now I am even more determined to plant more flowers when I get back to my house in Mørke. Being the foodie I am, I only took the trouble to plant a vegetable garden hahahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm jealous - my tulips are just beginning to show signs that they might bloom.

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Comments, Snide Remarks?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin